Giveaway Day is Saturday June 20
The City of Kingston’s next Giveaway Day is scheduled for Saturday June 20. Giveaway Day is the day Kingston residents are invited to put out reusable items they no longer want or need, which neighbours can pick up for free.
What to put out:
Only set out appropriate items that you know someone else might want.
• Appropriate: books, CDs, DVDs, furniture and small appliances, electronics, construction materials (including drywall, lumber, hardware), kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and, yes, unwanted gifts.
• Inappropriate: the Consumer Product Safety Bureau of Health Canada advises that these items should not be given away (or picked-up): baby walkers, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds and toys.
How to put items out:
• Place items at the curb in front of your home
• Place stickers or signs on the items with the word ‘FREE'
• Ensure any items that you do not want taken are kept away from items placed at the curb.
• At the end of the day, bring any uncollected items back in to your home. The City will not collect unwanted items left at the curb. Consider donating them to a local charity.
How to pick items up:
• Respect other people's property: don't walk on people's lawns or gardens.
• Take only the items marked ‘Free' and placed at the curb.
• Don't leave previously picked up items on the curb at other people's property.