Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) is seeking public input as part of a feasibility study on re-establishing agriculture and agri-food operations that would include offender employment initiatives at the former penitentiary farm locations of Collins Bay and Joyceville Institution.
Have your say here: http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/consult/index-en.shtml
Here are a few Important points to consider and include in your response:
- Rehabilitative success through meaningful work
- Development of empathy through working with, and developing relationships with animals
- Best use for land surrounding Collins Bay and Joyceville institutions
- Yet another form of local food and local agriculture
- Skills development for inmates
- Possible production of high-value products - dairy, cheese, etc.
For more information on the prison farms, visit the following links: